Sunday, April 4, 2010

Spring

Spring is finally here. Most of the snow has melted around the city and on the warmer days, in sunlight, you can actually feel comfortable wearing short-sleeves. So with the weather being good today, I decided to take a break from my homework and go for a walk.
Lo and behold I discovered a fairly large park about a mile and half from our hostel. It's basically a forest a few dozen acres large, and if you didn't know any better, and you didn't strain your eyes too hard to make-out the high rise apartment buildings cutting through the tree line, you could almost imagine you were in a forest and not in the middle of Europe's largest city.
Lots of people were in the park, grilling shashlik, walking, riding bikes. As I made my way further into the forest, I heard some festive music and saw a group of people huddled together. When I got closer I saw there was an old man playing an accordion. He was really belting out some good tunes, and I sat down on a park bench a few meters away to enjoy the scenery and music.
After switching a few songs, he stopped and then slowly played out a few notes. I guess the song must have been a well known one, because the group of people stopped talking and faced the man. The music picked up its pace, and then a couple got up and began to dance to it. Soon the group of people started clapping, and then they began to sing. It was all very beautiful, but soon it was time for me to get back to the hostel and finish my homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment